Search This Blog

Wednesday 10 February 2010

Mass Effect 2 & Arkham Asylum

Rightly or wrongly (and the answer is almost certainly, "wrongly"), I've always found it easier to write about games that aren't so well known. This is partly because if you're going to bother inflicting your words on the world it's important to try to say something original, and that's a lot harder if millions of people have already discussed the thing that you're writing about. But there's also the less noble reason that if your reader has existing knowledge of the thing you're talking about, you're more likely to get called out for factual errors.

So I'm fairly pleased to have had two things published this week about a couple of "big hitters", and I hope that in both of them I've managed to write combinations of words that aren't totally obvious or boring. On Resolution I've got a piece about Arkham Asylum where I talk about the game in relation to the graphic novel. Re-reading it now I think it's maybe a little slow to get going, and the point I'm making is maybe a little too obscure, but I feel mostly satisfied with how things worked out on the second page.

I think my review of Mass Effect 2 (that's gone up on good ol' reliable Savy Gamer) is a bit more successful. To me it feels like there's a consistency in tone that my writing often lacks. I might almost call it the best review I've ever written.


But jeez, look at the boring writer write about boring writing. You should probably have hit those links already. (Or just the 'close tab' button in your browser.)

No comments:

Post a Comment