Search This Blog

Tuesday 7 April 2009

The 10 Best Games in the World

This is, of course, an exercise in futility. By the time I’ve decided which Mario game is most deserving of a mention, I’ll be re-thinking what position to put Tetris. It’s also a little presumptuous to think that my list might be better than any of the others in the great ocean already out there on the Internet. But obviously blogging is an egomaniacal exercise even at the best of times (or at least, here it is), and truth be told, I haven't been able to shake the feeling that the Internet will be incomplete until I’ve told it my top ten videogames, aged 24 years, 8 months, and 3 days.

I’m not being precise about my age there because of some indulgent quirk of my obsessive-compulsive personality; no, there’s every chance that at 24 years, 8 months and 4 days I’ll want to re-write the whole thing. As everyone who makes a list like this really ought to acknowledge, I haven’t played every game in the world. I’ve scarcely touched a Sega Saturn, and never come anywhere near a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga . What follows is shallow and ill-researched, and little more than an excuse to talk about some great games. But be reassured reader, that I at least have the decency to admit my limitations.

Just some of the games I've never played

Despite the self-deprecation, this isn't a completely half-arsed operation. All the games on the list had to meet some strict criteria before I allowed them to become one of my "Top Ten... in the World... Ever!!!" All of the games in this series will feel “complete”. Never, or only very rarely, will their makers have left you wanting for options, game modes or play mechanics. There will be a consistency to their worlds, with no literal or metaphorical invisible walls to remind you that you’re playing a game. And very-much-relatedly, they will stand the test of time; the majority of them having done so already.

So let's get on with it:

10. Tetris
9. Metal Gear Solid
8. Shenmue
7. TBA
6. ?
5. ?
4. ?
3. ?
2. ?
1. ?

No comments:

Post a Comment