Search This Blog

Saturday 27 December 2008

An Ending fitting for the Start

It looks like my days as a semi-professional writer are over. For around three months I reviewed games and wrote the odd feature for Play.tm, the most forgettable videogames website you're ever likely to read. To begin with I was quite excited about getting sent free games in the post, and seeing my reviews on metacritic, but in the end the intrusive advertising, piss-poor writing and an Editor who didn't know the difference between "it's" and "its" made me question why I was bothering. I wish I could pretend I left in a blaze of glory, having sent my grammatically challenged Editor an e-mail announcing "I'm tired of your soulless website where generating advertising revenue is all that matters", but instead I just stopped sending him articles.

By starting a blog I hope not just to give myself the opportunity to cowardly vent at former Editors, but also help prevent myself from heading too much further down the cursed 'path of least resistance', and ending up middle-aged and over-fed in a job that bores me to tears. I'm sure that's why 90% of dull, whinging and unreadable blogs get started; but I'll hopefully be able to mix up the angst-ridden 'quarter-life crisis' posts with a few interesting links and occasionally, even a few insightful words of my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment